Marathon & Cape Sounion Full Day TourDuration: 8 hours
ABOUT THIS TOUR
This tour gives you the chance to explore Marathon, the site of the battle of Marathon in 490 BC. Also, Marathon is the birthplace of Marathon Race. Learn all about its history. Furthermore, you will visit Cape Sounion, the promontory at the southernmost tip of the Attic peninsula. Enjoy the amazing view and visit the ancient Temple of Poseidon.
- Athenian Riviera
- South suburbs of Attica named Palaion Faliro, Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza
- Lake of Vouliagmeni
- Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounio
- 9m-high tomb at Marathon
- Marathon Race Museum
- Archaeological Museum of Marathon
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
At firtst you will meet your driver at your hotel. You will have the chance to learn all about the legend of Marathon. After the battle, one of the soldiers named Phidipedes left from the Marathon heading to Athens. He ran all the way about 42,195 km without any stop and he bust into the assembly only to announce the good news. After, he said that we have won died. This historical reference was the inspiration of the modern marathon as a sports event.
Today’s visitor will see the 9m-high tomb that has been erected at the site of the battle in memory of the 192 Athenians who offered their lives. The 10 columns on the top of this memorial represent the 10 tribes of which Attica was originally consisted of. The archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann discoverd the tomb in 1880.
If we have time, we will visit the Marathon Race Museum to learn the history of the sportsmanship and the Archaeological Museum of Marathon, that included a variety of important exhibits. The most famous is the “Marathon Youth”.
Continue to Cape Sounio, where the beauty of architecture awaits you a few miles away in the form of the magnificent Temple of Poseidon. Visit the Temple of Poseidon with the immense blue of the Aegean Sea as a background. The beauty of the surviving ruins has impressed many travelers. One of them, was the famous poet, Lord Byron who left his signature on one of the columns. Find it by visiting the Temple.
After this amazing experience, it’s time to have a lunch by the sea. Enjoy the return and try to capture all the beautiful memories.
At the end of the tour you will be dropped off at your hotel.
Entrance fees to the Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounio are 4 Euro pp.
Entrance fees to the Marathon Tumulus and for the Marathon Museum are 6 Euro pp
Entrance fees for Ramnous Full: €4
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
- University students and Students of Higher Education Institutes
- Technological Educational Institutes
- Military Schools or equivalent Schools of member states of the European Union
- Schools of Guides, upon presentation of their student identity card
- Young people, under the age of 18, after demonstrating the Identity Card or passport to confirm the age
Free admission for all on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
For prices updates please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
OPENING HOURS FEES
- Sumer Period: 1 April – 31 October
- Winter Period: 1 November – 31 March
Tuesday – Sunday 8:00 – 15:00
Tuesday – Sunday 8:00 – 20:00
Daily 8.00-15.00, except Monday. Only access to the temple of Nemesis. The town – fortress is closed
Daily 8.00-15.00, except Monday
For Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounio:
- Winter period: 9:30am until sunset
- summer period: 8:00am until sunset
Last entry 20 min before closing
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
- 28 October: 08.30-15.00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
For updates on opening hours please click here
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations. Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs