Lousios Gorge Hiking, Olympia, Vasses, Delphi & Hosios Loukas TourDuration: 3 days
ABOUT THIS TOUR
A tour for spirit and mind. Join this tour to experience the incredible steep Lousios Gorge, the history behind the Olympic Games on their birthplace, in Olympia, the oracle of Delphi and the monastery of Hosios Loukas.
- View of the Saronic and Corinthian coastline
- View of the Salamis Island
- Corinth Canal
- Hiking at Lousios Gorge
- Traditional Villages of Dimitsana, Stemnitsa and Vitina
- The Prodromou and Philoshophou Monasteries on the limestone rock formations or the Open Air Museum of Water Power
- Archaeological Site of Olympia
- Temple of Zeus
- Town of Nafpaktos
- Archaeological Site of Delphi
- Archaeological Museum of Delphi
- Athena Pronaia Sanctuary with the renowned Tholos
- The Castalia Spring
- The Temple of Apollo
- The Great ancient theater
- The stadium, where the so called Pythian Games
- The treasuries that the city states erected in Delphi
- The famous statue of Antinoos
- The unique bronze statue of the Charioteer
- Traditional Village of Arachona
- Temple of Hera
- The Stadium
- Archaeological Museum of Olympia
- Famous statue of Hermes of Praxiteles
- Monastery of Hosios Loukas
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
Your driver will meet you at your accommodation. You will be driven to Peloponnese and you will have the chance to enjoy the scenery. We will do our first stop at the engineering marvel Corinth Canal.
After 2 hours driving, we will arrive at Lousios Gorge. Lousios Gorge is a river and a gorge in western Arcadia in the heart of Peloponnese. The nature lovers will be amazed by this scenery. You will have the opportunity to expole picturesque villages around the region. Enjoy a stroll to Dimitsana, Stemnitsa and Vitina and capture amazing moments. Take your time to explore the great nature.We suggest to visit this destination during spring or summer in order to admire its flora and fauna.
Furthermore, if we have time, you can visit the monasteries named The Prodromou and Philoshophou.
After this amazing hiking experience, you will enjoy a lunch.
Later, we will depart to Vasses. We will make a stop to relax and visit the Temple of Epicurius Apollo. After 2 hours driving we will arrive at Olympia.
Overnight in Olympia.
Early in the morning we will start our exploration to Olympia. The beauty of this place is unbeatable. Ancient Olympia was the most important sanctuary in the ancient times. Also, Olympia is the birthplace of the Olympic Games. Olympic Games started in 776B.C in honor of God Zeus.
There, you can enjoy the ruins of the Temple of Zeus, the Temple of Hera and the Stadium with its spectacular capacity of 45000 people. After this exploration, you can visit the Museum and see the famous statue of Hermes.
Then, you will have time for a lunch.
After Olympia, we will depart to Delphi. Before we reach we will take a break for lunch at the amazing town of Nafpaktos.
Then, we will arrive to the navel of the world, Delphi.
Overnight in Delphi
Your day starts with a visit to Delphi.
Delphi was the most important sanctuary dedicated to God Apollo. There, Pythia, the priestess of the Sanctuary, gave her advice. Due to this, Delphi was a cultural center, where many people sended donations resulted in the creation of a local treasury.
Explore around end see the Temple of Apollo, the sanctuary of Athena Pronaia with the renowned Tholos, the Castalia Spring, the Temple of Apollo, the Great ancient theater and the stadium, where the so called Pythian Games.
It has many interesting to visit the archaeological museum of Delphi. You will have the chance to admire the famous statue of Antinoos and the unique bronze statue of the Charioteer dated from 475 B.C.
Our next stop is the monastery of Hosios Loukas and Cheronea. We will have a stop at one of the most picturesque village of Arachova. Take your time to explore this beautiful village. Then, we will continue for the monastery of Hosios Loukas.
You will have 1,5 hour to spend for your visit. This monastery was founded in the early 10th century and is the largest surviving monastery of the Middle Byzantine period. Admire its byzanitne mosaics and learn the history about Hosios Loukas.
At the end, we will take the way back to Athens.
Entrance fees into Olympia area & Museum are 12 Euro pp (combined ticket obtained at the ticket office) and for temple of Epikourios Apollon is: 9 €
Entrance fees into the archaeological areas of Delphi and its Museum are 12 Euro total pp (combined ticket obtained at the ticket office) and 3 euro for Hosios Loukas monastery
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
- University students and Students of Higher Education Institutes
- Technological Educational Institutes
- Military Schools or equivalent Schools of member states of the European Union
- Schools of Guides, upon presentation of their student identity card
- Young people, under the age of 18, after demonstrating the Identity Card or passport to confirm the age
Free admission for all on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
For prices updates please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
OPENING HOURS FEES
- Summer Period: 1 April – 31 October
- Winter Period: 1 November – 31 March
Opening hours for the archaeological area of Ancient Olympia:
- Winter period: Tuesday – Sunday: 08:00-15:00, Monday: 10.00 – 17.00
- Summer period: 08:00- 20:00
Opening hours of the Temple of Epikourios Apollon:
- Winter: 8:30 – 15:00
- Summer: 8:00 – 19:00
Οpening hours for the archaeological area of Delphi:
- Winter period: 8:30am – 15:00
- Summer period:8:00am – 19:00
Opening hours for Hosios Loukas monastery:
- Monday closed Tuesday-Sunday 09.00-17.00
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
- 28 October: 08.30-15.00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
For updates on opening hours please click here
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations. Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs.