Hiking Lousios Gorge & Olympia TourDuration: 2 days
ABOUT THIS TOUR
This tour gives you the opportunity to to discover your naturalistic side. Experience the incredible steep Lousios Gorge with its clear waters and follow the breathtaking route. Visit Olympia and learn the history of Olympic Games.
- View of the Saronic and Corinthian coastline
- View of the Salamis Island
- Corinth Canal
- Hiking at Lousios Gorge
- Traditional Villages of Dimitsana, Stemnitsa and Vitina
- The Prodromou and Philoshophou Monasteries on the limestone rock formations or the Open Air Museum of Water Power
- Archaeological Site of Olympia
- Temple of Zeus
- Temple of Hera
- The Stadium
- Archaeological Museum of Olympia
- Famous statue of Hermes of Praxiteles
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
Your chauffer will meet you in the morning at your hotel. You will be driven to Peloponnese and you will have the chance to enjoy the scenery. We will do our first stop at the engineering marvel Corinth Canal.
Then, we will continue our trip to Lousios Gorge. Durin the ride, you can enjoy the natural beauty of greek countryside. After 2 hours, we will arrive at Lousios Gorge.
Lousios Gorge is a perfect place for hiking located in Arcadia. Near to Lousios Gorge, there are some picturesque villages such as Dimitsana, Stemnitsa and Vitina, where you will spend some time to explore them.
We suggest to take this tour spring or summer. Its flora and fauna are amazing and you must explore them. During your hiking, you will have the chance to admire the great nature of Greece. You can see differend spicies of mammals and birds. You will have approx. 3 hours to enjoy your adventure.
If we have time, we will visit the monasteries of Prodromos and Philoshophos. It is amazing that these are built on a huge rock which acts as a shelter.
After your hiking experience, you will have a traditional lunch at Dimitsana.
Then, we will depart for Olympia. After 2 hours, we will arrive at our destination.
Overnight in Olympia.
Start your day with a visit to Olympia. The beauty of this place is unbeatable. Ancient Olympia was the most important sanctuary in the ancient times. Also, Olympia is the birthplace of the Olympic Games. Olympic Games started in 776B.C in honor of God Zeus.
We will visit the Archaeological Museum of Olympia, where you can see the famous statue of Hermes among the other exhibits.
Then, it’s time for lunch.
Your driver will wait for you and will drop you off at your accommodation. After 4 hours, we will ariive at Athens.
Entrance fees into Olympia area & Museum are 12 Euro pp (combined ticket obtained at the ticket office).
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
Free admission (for all) on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
For prices updates please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
OPENING HOURS FEES
- Summer Period: 1 April – 31 October
- Winter Period: 1 November – 31 March
Opening hours for the archaeological area of Ancient Olympia:
- Winter period: Tuesday – Sunday: 08:00-15:00, Monday: 10.00 – 17.00
- Summer period: 08:00- 20:00
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
- 28 October: 08.30-15.00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
For updates on opening hours please click here
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations. Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs.