Delphi Day Trip TourDuration: 10 hours
Delphi Day Trip TourDuration: 10 hours
ABOUT THIS TOUR
Delphi, is a mountainside archaeological complex that contains the remains of the sanctuaries of Apollo as well as an ancient stadium and theater. Explore the navel of the world and visit one of the most picturesque villages Arachova.
If you have more time, you can choose the extended vesrion and visit the Monastery of Hosios Loukas or Thermopylae or the Lion of Cheronia.
- Traditional Village of Arachova
- Delphi Archaeological Site
- Delphi Archaeological Museum
- Athena Pronaia Sanctuary with the renowned Tholos
- The Castalia Spring
- The Temple of Apollo
- The Great ancient theater
- The stadium, where the so called Pythian Games
- The treasuries that the city states erected in Delphi
- The famous statue of Antinoos
- The unique bronze statue of the Charioteer
If extension is chosen:
- Monastery of Hosios Loukas
- or Battlefield of Thermopylae
- or Lion of Chaeronea
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
Discover the mythical center of the world. As the legend said, Zeus sent his two eagles across the world, one from the East and one from the West, and he said that the point where the two eagles would meet would mark the center of the earth, the navel of the world, or “Omphalos” as it is referred in Greek.
We will begin our tour in the morning. After 2 hours we will stop at the traditional village of Arachova. Enjoy a nice stroll in the village, and relax with a coffee.
Continue our route to the the Archaeological Site of Delphi. The Archaeological Site is located in the southwestern spur of Mount Parnassos.
Delphi used to be the most important sanctuary dedicated to God Apollo, the place through which the God was believed to be offering his Oracles through Pythia, the Priestess of the Sanctuary, who was always eager to give her advice to everyone from mere citizens to mythical heroes and legendary leaders of cities.
Greek people would visit the Oracle of Apollo religiously to take advice before they would proceed in taking important decisions. In such a perspective one could say that the Oracle of Delphi with its advice has determined greatly the route of history.
The perpetual inner need of mortals and the endless effort of the human race to foresee and learn about the future but also have the blessing of the Gods gradually converted the Oracle of Delphi into an important information and cultural center and allowed it to collect all the offerings that the cities were sending as donations, which resulted in the creation of a local treasury of immense value.
Hear a lot of intriguing stories about Pythia and all her oracles that changed the route of history but also explore the sanctuary of Athena Pronaia with the renowned Tholos, The Castalia Spring, the Temple of Apollo, the Great ancient theater, the stadium and the treasuries that the city state erected in order to express the gratitude towards the Gods.
Next will admire many important ancient Greek artifacts from the excavations at Delphi, including the famous statue of Antinoos and the unique bronze statue of the Charioteer dated from 475 B.C.
You will have 3 hours on the site and its museum. After this, it’ s time for an authentic greek lunch before we depart for Athens.
If you want the extended version of the tour, you can choose among the following options:
- Option first: your driver will take you to the Monastery of Hosios Loukas for an hour after the lunch break. The monastery of 11th century is situated on a mountainside overlooking the beautiful valley. This monastery is the largest surviving monastery of the Middle Byzantine period in Greece.
- With the second option you can visit the battlefield of Thermopylae.
- Or alternatively with the third option you can visit the Lion of Chaeronea.
Entrance fees into the archaeological areas of Delphi and its Museum are 12 Euro total pp (combined ticket obtained at the ticket office) and 3 euro for Hosios Loukas monastery
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
- University students and Students of Higher Education Institutes
- Technological Educational Institutes
- Military Schools or equivalent Schools of member states of the European Union
- Schools of Guides, upon presentation of their student identity card
- Young people, under the age of 18, after demonstrating the Identity Card or passport to confirm the age
Free admission for all on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
For prices updates please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
OPENING HOURS FEES
Opening hours for the archaeological area of Delphi:
- Winter period: 8:30am – 15:00
- Summer period:8:00am – 19:00
For Hosios Loukas monastery:
- Monday closed
- Tuesday-Sunday 09.00-17.00
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
- 28 October: 08.30-15.00
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
For updates on opening hours please click here
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations. Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs