Athens-Sounion Full DayDuration: 8 hours
Athens-Sounion Full DayDuration: 8 hours
ABOUT THIS TOUR
Spend your morning in the city of Athens and enjoy the most scenic ride along the Athenian Riviera heading to Cape Sounio, it is an urban oasis only 45 miles (72km) away from the city center.
- Temple of Wingless Nike
- Odeum of Herodes Atticus
- Temple of Olympian Zeus
- Hadrian’s Arch
- Old Olympic Stadium
- Presidential Palace
- Changing of the Guards
- Constitution (Syntagma) Square
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Lycabetus Hill
- Trilogy of Culture (Academy, University, Library of Athens)
- Athenian Riviera
- South suburbs of Attica named Palaion Faliro, Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza
- Lake of Vouliagmeni
- Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounio
We can customize this tour to your needs.
If you want to skip or add something, please let us know in advance.
We will start our tour by visiting the Acropolis Hill early in the morning, in order to avoid the crowd. Discover all the sights starting with the magnificent gate of Propylaea, the Temple of the wingless Nike, the Erectheion with the imperious maidens Karyatides, and of course the masterpiece of Classical architecture, the Parthenon. Climbing on the rock of Acropolis you will enjoy an amazing view. Enjoy the theater of Dionysus, the Odeum of Herodes Atticus, the Ancient Greek Agora, the modern city of Athens and even the port of Piraeus.
After our visit to the Acropolis, you will discover the rest of the city by a relaxing ride. You will see the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Hadrian’s Arch and our next stop is the Old Olympic Stadium.
Before leaving our beautiful capital you will have the chance to witness the intricate changing ritual of the guards in front of Athens’ Presidential Palace and see some neoclassical buildings of 19th century such as the Trilogy of Culture, the masons on Queen Sophia’s Av., the House of the Parliament on Constitution Sq. (Syntagma Square) where the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier exists and last but not least you will enjoy a panoramic view at Lycabetus Hill.
On your way to Cape Sounio, you will enjoy the most wonderful view of the Saronic Gulf. This destination combines beaches, leisure and culture. Driving through the old aristocratic summer resorts of the 50s, 60s and 70s named Palaion Faliro, Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza, and staring the fascinating view of the Aegean deep blue, you will find yourself lost in the beauty of Mediterranean nature.
You will hace the opportunity to visit the Lake of Vouliagmeni and enjoy its natural beauty that has attracted crowds of Athenians for its thermal waters of 22 celcius stable temperature.
When we arrive at Cape Sounion, we will visit the Temple of Poseidon and have time to let your mind roam through ancient monuments with the immense blue of the Aegean Sea as a background. The beauty of the surviving ruins has impressed many travelers of the past centuries who have visited this magical place, among which the famous poet, Lord Byron who wanted to leave his signature on one of the columns. Visit the temple and try to find it yourself.
Your driver will drop you off back to your accommodation after your memorable day in Athens.
Entrance fees, to the Acropolis and Temple of Zeus, are 26 Euro total pp.
Entrance fee to the Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounio is 4 Euro pp.
Free admission for:
- Persons under 18 (with current identification to prove age)
- University students from Greece and the E.U
Free admission (for all) on the following dates:
- 6 March
- 5 June
- 18 April
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
For prices updates please click here
To buy your tickets in advance click here
OPENING HOURS FEES
- Summer period: 1 April – 31 October
- Winter period: 1 November – 31 March
Opening hours for the archeological sites of Athens including Acropolis:
- Winter period:8:30am – 15:00
- Summer period:8:00am – 19:30
Opening hours for Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounio:
- Winter period: 9:30am until sunset
- Summer period: 8:00am until sunset. Last entry 20 min before closing.
All sites and museums are closed or have reduced opening hours, on the following holidays:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
- Easter Sunday : closed
- Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
- 1 May: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
- 15 August: 08.30-15.00
For updates on opening hours please click here
- Comfortable clothing and sensible, flat-soled walking shoes are recommended for most locations.
- Sun glasses, a hat and sun screen are also suggested since the Mediterranean sun is extremely hot during the summer months.
- As far as walking is concerned you have to keep in mind that climbing up to the Acropolis is a rather challenging task. Guests must be able to walk over paved, inclined paths, some with steps and then climb a series of steps to reach the Propylea. The walking surface on top of the Acropolis is rather raw and uneven. It has been preserved in this manner in order to showcase the authentic environment of the monuments.
- Photography is permitted in almost every site throughout the tours and if it is prohibited you will be informed beforehand.
- Local currency (euros) might be needed in order to pay at the spot small entrance fees and small expenses.
- In case one of our guests has some special needs, is under certain medication or has a limited walking endurance you can let us know during the organization of your customized tour and we will make sure that small breaks are incorporated into your itinerary.
- Also it is suggested that you bring with you a small bottle of water or something small to eat in case you need to during the tour.
- Furthermore if an individual has advanced accessibility needs you can let us know and allow us to customize the tour to fit your needs.